Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorBonifant, R. A.
dc.date.accessioned2012-08-05T23:50:09Z
dc.date.available2012-08-05T23:50:09Z
dc.date.issued1969
dc.identifier.urihttps://hdl.handle.net/10182/4741
dc.description.abstractThe West Coast of the South Island occupies almost 10 percent of the total area of New Zealand and covers the counties of Buller, Inangahua, Grey and Westland. Only 14 per cent of the total area of the region is occupied, the remaining 86 percent being largely Crown land, in the form of precipitous mountains, scenic reserves and indigenous forests. Historically the regional economy has been based on gold, coal and timber. Gold has ceased to be of any significance. Coal mining, although an important and successful industry for many years, has felt the effected of competition from alternative sources of power and heat, and from coal produced more economically in areas closer to existing markets. Timber production has been curtailed in order that there can be conservation of the millable indigenous forests and eventually production on a sustained yield basis. Overall the decreasing demand for coal and the curtailed timber production have adversely affected regional development. Chapter I describes the physical characteristics of the West Coast region and more specifically Buller County. Although pakihi land is scattered throughout the West Coast the results of this study refer specifically to the Addison pakihi, surrounding Westport. Chapter II describes in detail the research which has been conducted on the pakihi lands since the beginning of the century. The principles and problems of management of pakihi for sheep farming are discussed in Chapter III. Criteria for farm development evaluation are critically reviewed in Chapter IV, while in Chapter V the development analysis is presented. Conclusions are stated in Chapter VI.en
dc.language.isoenen
dc.publisherLincoln College, University of Canterburyen
dc.rights.urihttps://researcharchive.lincoln.ac.nz/page/rights
dc.subjecteconomic aspectsen
dc.subjectpakihien
dc.subjectfarm developmenten
dc.subjectWest Coasten
dc.subjectSouth Islanden
dc.subjectdrainageen
dc.subjectwater supplyen
dc.subjectsoil fertilityen
dc.subjectNew Zealanden
dc.titleManagement and economic aspects of the development of pakihien
dc.typeThesisen
thesis.degree.grantorUniversity of Canterburyen
thesis.degree.levelMastersen
thesis.degree.nameMaster of Agricultural Scienceen
lu.thesis.supervisorStewart, J. D.
lu.contributor.unitDepartment of Agricultural Management and Property Studiesen
dc.rights.accessRightsDigital thesis can be viewed by current staff and students of Lincoln University only. If you are the author of this item, please contact us if you wish to discuss making the full text publicly available.en
dc.subject.anzsrc070106 Farm Management, Rural Management and Agribusinessen
dc.subject.anzsrc050302 Land Capability and Soil Degradationen
dc.subject.anzsrc070101 Agricultural Land Managementen
dc.subject.anzsrc140205 Environment and Resource Economicsen


Files in this item

Default Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record